COASTAL VIEWS & CANYONS AT CRYSTAL COVE STATE PARK
TRIP · 3-day backpacking trip
FOR · Friends & first-time backpackers
DISTANCE · 5 miles round-trip
VIBE · Moderate & fun
COST · $$
DRIVE · 1 hour from LA
RESERVATION · Yes! Book a site at Lower Moro Campground
IDEAL DATES · September - December or March - May
PETS · Not allowed on backcountry trails
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
There are three backcountry campgrounds: Lower Moro, Upper Moro & Deer Canyon you can reserve for $25 a night. Each campsite comes with a picnic table!
Bring all of your water because there isn't any drinking or running water in the backcountry
Campfires aren't allowed either, but backpacking stoves are!
There is a porta potty at each campground, but no trash cans. Practice Leave No Trace!
Pack up your food overnight because while there aren't bears, there are rattlesnakes & other creepy crawlies that like to snack.
LEAVE LA BY 10 AM & SWING BY CRYSTAL COVE SHAKE SHACK FOR LUNCH
- Diners come here for the stellar ocean views
- Located at 7703 E Coast Highway in Newport Coast
- Open everyday from 7 AM - 9 PM
- GROCERY STOP · Trader Joe's - 8086 Pacific Coast Highway in Newport Beach
CHECK-IN AT CRYSTAL COVE MORO CAMPGROUND
SET UP CAMP ALONG REDWOOD CREEK
- Find a soft, gravelly spot along the creek.
- Create a fire ring near your campsite & settle in for the evening
COOK UP DINNER & ROAST S'MORES
- YAY! Soak up the stars overhead and chow on some s'mores
- Fully extinguish your campfire before you head to bed & store all of your food & scented items in a bear canister. Bears love to visit the creek at night too!
CAR TO CAMP · 3-4 miles with 276 feet of elevation gain, 2-3 hours
MAKE BREKKIE, PACK A LUNCH & DAY HIKE ALONG REDWOOD CREEK
- Fill up on water, bring your water filter, snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit, sun hat, towel, bug spray, down jacket, a book & lunch!
- Leave any food & scented items in the bear canister back at camp
- It's an easy 7.3 mile round-trip hike, with 417 feet of elevation gain, to reach the second seasonal footbridge, but honestly, hike as far as you'd like
- Find a cool mid-way spot for lunch & chill for the rest of the afternoon
RETURN TO CAMP & PREP DINNER
- Clean up from the day's hike
ENJOY A SUNSET DINNER
- Savor your last night at Redwood National Park & spend the rest of the night stargazing around the campfire. More s'mores, plz.
CAMP TO CAMP · 7.3 miles, 417 feet of elevation gain, 4-5 hours
COOK UP BREAKFAST, PACK UP & HIKE BACK TO TALL TREES GROVE TRAILHEAD
- It depends on where you decided to camp, but head south along Redwood Creek to return to the first seasonal footbridge, which is about 2.5 miles from the trailhead parking lot
RETURN TO YOUR CAR & GRAB LUNCH AT BEACHCOMBER CAFE
Diners love their local, organic ingredients & fresh-baked goods!
Located at 363 Trinity Street in Trinidad (next to the beach!)
Open Friday to Monday from 8 AM - 2 PM
CAMP TO CAR · 3-4 miles, 2 - 3 hours
PAY IT FORWARD LIKE BEZZI
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about Crystal Cove State Park below & tag us @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
LAST UPDATED: December 1, 2021
EXPLORE MORE TRIPS
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.