FAMILY CAMPING TRIP AT SALT POINT STATE PARK
TRIP · 3-day car camping trip
FOR · Families & first-time campers
VIBE · Chill & fun
COST · $
DRIVE · 2.5 hours from SF
IDEAL DATES · June - September
PETS · Welcome at camp, but not on beaches & trails
WHY SALT POINT
Salt Point State Park (SPSP) is a 6,000 acre park that packs panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean along with unforgettable sunsets. It's home to one of CA's first underwater parks: Salt Point State Marine Conservation Area. Like most coastal spots in NorCal, the weather is wet and mild, with foggy summer days averaging in the 60s, so dress in layers when you visit. Don't let that discourage you from experiencing SPSP's rugged beauty, 20 miles of hiking trails & tidepools. All of which make this a special place worth visiting.
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire pit & grill
- Space for up to 8 people
- 2 parking spots
- Food storage locker
- Trash collection (on site)
- Restrooms (on site)
RESERVE A COZY, SHADY SPOT AT WOODSIDE CAMPGROUND
SPSP has two campgrounds: Gerstle Cove & Woodside. They have 30 & 79 campsites, respectively, and can accommodate tent, trailer & RV campers. Lower and Upper Woodside campsites range on the smaller, cozier, woodsier side, but it's a beautiful campground that shelters your tents from breezy weather. You can buy firewood from the Visitor Center, and be sure to reserve a spot in advance because they can get swooped up on weekends!
Check-in: After 2 PM | Check-out: 12 PM
View Campground Map
Nightly Rate: $35
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
Frisky raccoons like to lurk around camp for snacks so properly store your food in your campsite's storage box overnight and whenever you leave camp
The wet & windy coastal climate means campsites can get damp overnight. Wear layers & lay a tarp or groundsheet underneath your tent.
LEAVE SF BY 11 AM & GRAB SOME CLAM CHOWDA AT SPUD POINT CRAB COMPANY
- Diners LOVE their clam chowder & crab sandwich
- Located at 1860 Westshore Rd in Bodega Bay
- Open Everyday | 9 AM - 5 PM
LAST PIT STOP · Jenner Sea Store - 10444 CA-1 in Jenner
CHECK IN & SETTLE IN AT WOODSIDE CAMPGROUND
- Set up camp, wander around the campground & relax
WALK TO GERSTLE COVE AND HIKE THE SALT POINT TRAIL TO STUMP BEACH
- Take the Salt Point Trailhead past the Gerstle Cove Visitor Center, and enjoy an easy 3.3 mile round-trip hike that takes you along the coast.
RETURN TO CAMP FOR DIN-DIN
- Prep & enjoy dinner back at camp
- Stargaze and swap some of your favorite campfire stories
MAKE BREKKIE, DRIVE TO JOHNSON'S BEACH & KICK IT ON RUSSIAN RIVER
- Reserve a kayak, canoe, inner tube, or riverfront beach spot at Johnson's Beach in Guerneville! Spend the day coasting on or chilling by Russian River. It's an hour drive from Salt Point SP, but worth the commute!
- Single kayaks are $40/day, double kayaks & canoes are $50/day, and inner tubes are $10/day. Reserve them in advance!
GRAB LUNCH AT THE FARMHAND
- People love their sandwiches, salads & riverside views!
- Located at 15025 River Road in Guerneville
- Open Everyday | 7 AM - 7 PM
SWING BY SONOMA COAST STATE PARK & HIKE KORTUM TRAIL: SHELL BEACH TO BLIND BEACH
- This 4.4 mile round-trip trail has 643 feet of elevation gain and has great views of the immense Goat Rock.
RETURN TO CAMP & PREP A SUNSET DINNER
- Cook up your last dinner at camp and bring your camp chair to watch the sunset at Gerstle Cove
- Return to camp for stories & s'mores around the campfire
PACK UP & CHECK OUT BEFORE NOON
👀 Cook up brekkie, clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
Tafoni is a natural phenomenon found in the sandstone at Gerstle Cove & Fisk Mill Cove. It refers to the honeycomb-type erosion caused by seasonal wetting and drying of the rock.
PAY IT FORWARD LIKE BEZZI
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about Salt Point State Park below & tag us @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.