CAMPING TRIP IN ED Z'BERG SUGAR PINE POINT STATE PARK
TRIP · 3-day car camping trip
FOR · Friends & first-time campers
VIBE · Chill & fun
COST · $
DRIVE · 3.5 hours from SF
IDEAL DATES · June - September
PETS · Welcome at camp, but not on the beach & trails
WHY ED Z'BERG SUGAR PINE POINT STATE PARK?
Ed Z’berg Sugar Pine Point State Park (EZSPP) is the largest state park at Lake Tahoe! It features 2,000 acres of forest and almost two miles of lakeshore. The Sierra State Parks Foundation also offers tours of the park's 11,000 square-foot centerpiece: the historic Ehrman Mansion, aka Pine Lodge. Camp, swim & visit a slice of history at Sugar Pine Point SP.
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire pit & grill
- Space for up to 8 people
- 2 parking spots
- Food storage locker
- Trash collection (on site)
- Restrooms (on site)
SLEEP UNDERNEATH SUGAR PINES AT GENERAL CREEK CAMPGROUND
This expansive campground has 175 sites designed for tent, trailer & RV campers. It's tucked away underneath beautiful pine trees so there's plenty of shade to go around, and you're only less than a mile walk away from the glistening shores of Lake Tahoe. There are restrooms, coin-operated hot showers & a paved bike path throughout the campground. Plus, you're only a 15-minute drive from Tahoe City, where you'll find grocery stores, restaurants & more lakeside beaches.
Check-in: After 2 PM | Check-out: 12 PM
Quiet hours: 10 PM - 8 AM
View Campground Map
Nightly Rate: $35
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
Bears are known to roam around the park. Properly secure your food in your campsite's storage box whenever you leave camp and overnight. Due to feisty bears, coolers can't be stored in cars and must fit in food storage lockers at your campsite. Food locker dimensions are 36" deep, 43" wide, and 22" high. Learn more about bear safety!
Hellman-Ehrmann Mansion tours take place from Tuesday - Saturday,10:30 AM – 3:30 PM ( June 22 – September 30, 2021). Adult tickets are $12, children tickets are $10, & you can buy them at the Visitor Center
SPPSP's day use fee is $10 a car
LEAVE SF BY 11 AM & GRAB A SAMMIE AT FULL BELLY DELI
- Diners LOVE their sandwiches & wraps, especially the Dirka Dirka
- Located at 10825 Pioneer Trail Road, Suite 103 in Truckee
- Open Monday - Friday| 7 AM - 3 PM & Saturdays 10 AM - 3 PM
LAST PIT STOP · Chevron - 310 W River Road in Tahoe City
CHECK IN & SETTLE IN AT GENERAL CREEK CAMPGROUND
- Set up camp, wander around the campground & relax
SWIM IN LAKE TAHOE!
- From camp, walk 0.5 miles along Rod Beaudry Trail to reach Sugar Pine Point State Park beach
- Wear your bathing suit and leap into the lake!
DRY OFF & TAKE AN EVENING STROLL ALONG THE DOLDER NATURE TRAIL
- This easy 2.1 mile loop takes you through Edwin L. Z’Berg Natural Preserve. You'll find beautiful lake views, a sandy beach & the chance to visit the highest lighthouse (in elevation) in the world!
RETURN TO CAMP FOR DIN-DIN
- Prep & enjoy dinner back at camp
- Stargaze and swap some of your favorite campfire stories
MAKE BREKKIE, PACK A PICNIC & WALK OR BIKE ALONG SUGAR PINE POINT STATE PARK NATURE TRAILS
- This 5 mile loop is a lovely, shady stroll through meadows & cedar trees
- Pack a daypack with lunch, sunscreen, sunhat, bug spray & water
- Find a pretty spot along the way to picnic for lunch
RETURN TO CAMP & UNWIND
- Clean up & play some board games
JOIN AN AFTERNOON TOUR OF HELLMAN-EHRMAN MANSION
- This rustic, but palatial house was built by San Francisco financier I.W. Hellman for his beloved family to enjoy Tahoe's waters. Now you can too!
PREP A SUNSET DINNER
- Cook up your last dinner at Sugar Pine Point and bring your camp chair to enjoy a sunset dinner by the lake
PACK UP & CHECK OUT BEFORE NOON
👀 Cook up brekkie, clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
Sugar Pine trees (Pinus lambertiana) can grow up to 275 feet tall, and are the largest pine tree in the world! Their cones have also been recorded to reach 2 feet!
PAY IT FORWARD LIKE BEZZI
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about Ed Z'berg Sugar Pine Point State Park below & tag us @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.