CAMPING TRIP AT SAN ONOFRE STATE BEACH
IDEAL DATES ·
3-day car camping trip
Friends, families & first-time campers
Chill & fun
1.5 hours from LA
July - October
Welcome at camp and down by trails 1 & 6
WHY SAN ONOFRE STATE BEACH?
San Onofre State Beach (SOSB) is one of the top five most visited state parks in CA and rightly so. It has 5.5 miles of coastline, which makes it a camper's playground & a surfer's dream. Trestles Beach within SOSB is considered the best year-round surf break in America! For campers, there are six numbered trails (#1 - 6) that takes you below towering sandstone bluffs down to the rocky beach. Use the restroom before you hike down & settle in for awesome surfer-watching and ocean views.
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire ring & grill
- Space for up to 8 people
- Three parking spots
- Trash collection (on site)
- Restrooms & showers (on site)
BOOK A SPACIOUS SPOT AT SAN MATEO CAMPGROUND
San Mateo Campground is a 20-minute walk to the rugged coastline of San Onofre State Beach, but it offers plenty of modern amenities for RV & tent campers alike. The campground has hot, coin-operated showers, restrooms, and RV hookup sites with electricity & water. Some campers suggest bringing ear plugs because you might hear the hum of the highway, but the campground's convenient location to the beach makes it hard to beat.
Check-in: After 2 PM | Check-out: 12 PM
View Campground Map
Nightly Rate: $40
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
The beaches and trails are rocky so wear closed-toe shoes while hiking at SOSB
Wildflower season is April - May
Pups are welcome at camp and only on trails 1 & 6
If you're only visiting for the day, there's a $15 parking fee
Stow away & secure your stuff overnight!
LEAVE LA BY 11 AM & GRAB LUNCH AT THE FUEL SHACK
- Diners love their bagels, and chicken & waffles!
- Located at 360 Camino De Estrella in San Clemente
- Open Tuesday - Sunday| 7 AM - 1 PM
LAST PIT STOP · 76 - 1201 S El Camino Real in San Clemente
CHECK IN & SETTLE IN AT SAN MATEO CAMPGROUND
- Set up camp, wander around the campground & relax
COOK UP DINNER & S'MORES
- Prep dinner, s'mores & enjoy an evening of drinking & stargazing
MAKE BREKKIE, PACK A PICNIC, AND HIKE TO TRESTLES BEACH
- This is a 3.1 mile round-trip hike, with 300 feet of elevation gain, to Trestles Wetlands Natural Preserve
- Pack a daypack with a lunch, snacks, sunscreen, sunhat, bug spray & water
- Spend the afternoon surfer-watching, lounging, and exploring the world-class Trestles Beach
RETURN TO CAMP & UNWIND
- Clean up, prep a delicious meal & warm up with your favorite hot bevvie.
- Roast up s'mores & soak up your last night in San Onofre State Beach!
PACK UP & CHECK OUT BEFORE NOON
👀 Cook up brekkie, clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
GIVE A LITTLE, GAIN A LOT
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about San Onofre State Beach below & tag @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.