WEEKEND CAMPING TRIP IN SAN BERNARDINO NATIONAL FOREST
WHY SAN BERNARDINO NATIONAL FOREST?
San Bernardino National Forest (SBNF) is one of the most diverse places in the country when it comes to plants & wildlife, partly because its elevation ranges from 2,000 to 11,500+ feet (on Mount San Gorgonio, the highest peak in SoCal). It's home to the tallest waterfalls in the region: Big Falls & Bonita Falls, and every year, SBNF receives more visitors than either Yosemite or Yellowstone National Parks. NBD.
IDEAL DATES ·
3-day car camping trip
Friends & first-time campers
Chill & fun
2 hours from LA
April - September
Welcome at camp & on trails!
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire pit & grill
- Space for up to 8 people
- Two parking spots
- Food storage locker
- Trash collection (on site)
- Restrooms (on site)
BOOK A SHADY & SERENE SPOT AT HANNA FLAT CAMPGROUND
Hanna Flat Campground is a beautiful, secluded campground located a 10-minute drive north of Big Bear Lake. Nestled among pine trees, Hanna Flat has 80 tent & RV campsites available to be reserved and a few by first-come, first-serve. There are restrooms, drinking water & firewood that you can buy on site. The last two miles to the campground is on a dirt road, but it's totally driveable for cars without 4WD.
Check-in: After 2 PM | Check-out: 12 PM
View Campground Map
Nightly Rate: $30
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
There's an $8 nightly fee for parking additional cars at your campsite
Hanna Flat Campground is 7,000 feet above sea level. Drink plenty of water & spend some time acclimatizing to avoid altitude sickness symptoms.
Pack your sunscreen and a jacket because temperatures drastically change from morning to night. It can be windy too!
Wear face masks, socially distance, and tread lightly!
LEAVE LA BY 11 AM & GRAB LUNCH AT NORTH SHORE CAFE
- Diners love their pastrami sandwich & fresh ingredients!
- Located at 39226 N. Shore Drive in Fawnskin
- Open Friday - Sunday| 8 AM - 5 PM
LAST PIT STOP · Valero - 32755 CA-18 in Running Springs
CHECK IN & SETTLE IN AT HANNA FLAT CAMPGROUND
- Set up camp, wander around the campground & relax
COOK UP DINNER & S'MORES
- Prep dinner, s'mores & enjoy an evening of drinking & stargazing
GET AN EARLY START, GRAB BREKKIE, AND HIKE GRAYS PEAK TRAIL
- This is an 11.3 mile round-trip hike, with 1,479 ft. of elevation gain, that starts at Hanna Flat campground and reaches the top of Grays Peak. Feel free to cut the hike short at anytime, or hike the 9.1 mile round-trip Hanna Flat Campground Trail.
- Aim to leave before 9 AM because afternoon temperatures can get pretty hot during the summer
- Pack a daypack with a late lunch, snacks, sunscreen, sunhat, bug spray & plenty of water
- From Hanna Flat Trailhead (found within the campground), hike along Hanna Flat Trail for about 3.5 miles
- Briefly walk along Forest Road 2N70 before reaching Grays Peak Trail. It's a steady climb to Grays Peak. Enjoy the views & an afternoon lunch!
RETURN TO CAMP & UNWIND
- Clean up, prep a delicious meal & warm up with your favorite hot bevvie.
- Roast up s'mores & soak up your last night in San Bernardino NF!
PACK UP & CHECK OUT BEFORE NOON
👀 Cook up brekkie, clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
PAY IT FORWARD LIKE BEZZI
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about San Bernardino National Forest below & tag @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.