BACKPACKING TRIP AT REDWOOD NATIONAL & STATE PARK
TRIP · 3-day backpacking trip
FOR · Friends & first-time backpackers
DISTANCE · 16 miles round-trip with 692 feet of elevation gain
VIBE · Moderate & fun
COST · $
DRIVE · 6.5 hours from SF
PERMITS · Yes! Apply online for a Redwood Creek Gravel Bar permit & a Tall Trees Day Use Permit (during the summer)
IDEAL DATES · June - September
PETS · Welcome at certain campgrounds, but not on trails
WHY REDWOOD NATIONAL & STATE PARKS?
Redwood National & State Parks (RNSP) preserves some of the most majestic forests on Earth. It's home to ancient coast redwoods which can grow up to 360+ feet tall (imagine a 35-story skyscraper!) & live up to 2,500 years old. These towering beauties are why Redwood National Park is designated as a UN World Heritage Site. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, and Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park are also part of the joint national-state park partnership. Thank the Save the Redwoods League; they're a big reason why we have 133,000 acres of redwood groves to camp & frolic in today.
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
Black bears have been spotted by the creek so hang a bear-proof Ursack or use a bear canister to store your food overnight.
Backcountry campfires are allowed in RNSP. Make a fire ring to contain the flames & fully extinguish your campfire before you sleep.
Redwood NP has no park entrance fees!
Reserve a free backcountry permit up to a month or at least 48 hours before your trip. Each permit covers up to 8 campers.
LEAVE SF BY 8 AM & SWING BY CAFE PHOENIX FOR LUNCH
- Diners love their fresh ingredients & healthy brunch menu
- Located at 1360 G Street in Arcata
- Open Tues. to Sat. from 9 AM to 3 PM
- LAST PIT STOP · Chevron - 101 Main Street in Trinidad
ARRIVE AT TALL TREES GROVE TRAILHEAD
- You'll need a code to unlock the gate that accesses the trailhead so apply online for your backcountry permit. Redwood Creek Gravel Bar is the only area in Redwood NP where you can freely disperse camp.
- Once you've parked, hide or remove any valuable belongings from your car
- Hike 2.5 miles to reach the first seasonal footbridge, which is usually set up by early June through September. If you go during winter months, get ready for some creek crossings!
- Once you're at least 0.25 miles from Tall Trees Grove, you can camp anywhere you'd like. Stay at least 1.5 miles from Redwood Creek Trailhead as well.
SET UP CAMP ALONG REDWOOD CREEK
- Find a soft, gravelly spot along the creek.
- Create a fire ring near your campsite & settle in for the evening
COOK UP DINNER & ROAST S'MORES
- YAY! Soak up the stars overhead and chow on some s'mores
- Fully extinguish your campfire before you head to bed & store all of your food & scented items in a bear canister. Bears love to visit the creek at night too!
CAR TO CAMP · 3-4 miles with 276 feet of elevation gain, 2-3 hours
MAKE BREKKIE, PACK A LUNCH & DAY HIKE ALONG REDWOOD CREEK
- Fill up on water, bring your water filter, snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit, sun hat, towel, bug spray, down jacket, a book & lunch!
- Leave any food & scented items in the bear canister back at camp
- It's an easy 7.3 mile round-trip hike, with 417 feet of elevation gain, to reach the second seasonal footbridge, but honestly, hike as far as you'd like
- Find a cool mid-way spot for lunch & chill for the rest of the afternoon
RETURN TO CAMP & PREP DINNER
- Clean up from the day's hike
ENJOY A SUNSET DINNER
- Savor your last night at Redwood National Park & spend the rest of the night stargazing around the campfire. More s'mores, plz.
CAMP TO CAMP · 7.3 miles, 417 feet of elevation gain, 4-5 hours
COOK UP BREAKFAST, PACK UP & HIKE BACK TO TALL TREES GROVE TRAILHEAD
- It depends on where you decided to camp, but head south along Redwood Creek to return to the first seasonal footbridge, which is about 2.5 miles from the trailhead parking lot
RETURN TO YOUR CAR & GRAB LUNCH AT BEACHCOMBER CAFE
Diners love their local, organic ingredients & fresh-baked goods!
Located at 363 Trinity Street in Trinidad (next to the beach!)
Open Friday to Monday from 8 AM - 2 PM
CAMP TO CAR · 3-4 miles, 2 - 3 hours
PAY IT FORWARD LIKE BEZZI
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about Redwood National Park below & tag us @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
LAST UPDATED: October 6, 2021
EXPLORE MORE TRIPS
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.