FAMILY CAMPING TRIP IN MORRO BAY STATE PARK
TRIP · 3-day car camping trip
FOR · Families & first-time campers
VIBE · Chill & fun
COST · $$
DRIVE · 3.5 hours from SF & LA
IDEAL DATES · June - September
PETS · Welcome at camp & the beach!
WHY MORRO BAY STATE PARK?
The 23 million year old Morro Rock captures everyone's attention at Morro Bay State Park (I mean, how could it not?), but this family-friendly park also features lush estuaries, winding oceanside walkways & breathtaking sunsets. There's an 18-hole golf course & a natural history museum too. MBSP gets packed in July & August due to the warm weather, but September is still a fine time to visit.
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire pit & grill
- Space for up to 8 people
- 2 parking spots
- Food storage locker
- Trash collection (on site)
- Restrooms (on site)
STAY IN THE UPPER SECTION AT MORRO BAY SP CAMPGROUND
Morro Bay State Park Campground is a family-friendly campground that has sites for tents, RVs, bikers & larger groups. Tucked between the golf course & Morro Estuary Natural Preserve, this campground is packed with enough amenities so that you can easily enjoy the outdoors. Upper section campsites are best for tent campers, and you can buy firewood, take hot (coin-operated) showers & access drinking water from various water spigots around camp. You gotta reserve your campsite months in advance, or watch for last-minute cancellations, because people naturally love this place.
Check-in: After 2 PM | Check-out: 12 PM
Quiet hours: 10 PM - 8 AM
View Campground Map
Nightly Rate: $50
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
It can be windy when you're camping along the coast. Bring a swimsuit and a jacket
Morro Bay Museum is still closed due to Covid, but check its status around mid-June
Carpool if you can! Overflow parking isn't available after you reach more than the two car limit per campsite
Keep pups leashed at camp & on the beach
LEAVE LA BY 11 AM & GRAB LUNCH AT ZIGGY'S
- Diners LOVE this vegan spot, esp. their burgers & avocado egg rolls
- Located at 594 California Blvd in San Luis Obispo
- Open everyday| 11 AM - 9 PM
LAST PIT STOP · Speedway Express - 3 Santa Rosa St. in San Luis Obispo
CHECK IN & SETTLE IN AT MORRO BAY STATE PARK CAMPGROUND
- Set up camp, wander around the campground & relax
HIKE BLACK HILL TRAIL
- Walk along a 2.5 mile, 551 ft. of elevation, out and back trail to the top of Black Hill, another volcanic plug like Morro Rock
RETURN TO CAMP FOR DINNER
- Prep & enjoy dinner at camp
CATCH THE SUNSET ALONG MARINA POINT
- Walk along this flat, easy half-mile loop next to Morro Bay's marina & estuary. Look out for wading birds & interesting plants along the way!
HUDDLE UP BACK AT CAMP FOR S'MORES
- Prep your favorite bevvie & swap some campfire stories
MAKE BREKKIE, PACK A PICNIC & VISIT MORRO ROCK
- Pack a daypack with lunch, sunscreen, sunhat, bug spray & water
- Drive 10 minutes through downtown Morro Bay & park at Morro Rock
- Bask in oceanside views of this epic volcanic plug & treat everyone to an afternoon picnic!
RETURN TO CAMP & UNWIND
- Clean up, prep a delicious meal & play some board games
RESERVE A MORRO BAY SUNSET PADDLE TOUR
- Experience your last sunset at Morro Bay floating in a kayak. This 2 to 2.5-hour paddle is $85 per adult, with discounts for kids!. It also comes with beer, wine & hors d'oeuvres. Yum.
PACK UP & CHECK OUT BEFORE NOON
👀 Cook up brekkie, clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
Morro Rock is a nesting ground for endangered peregrine falcons, which are one of the largest falcons in North America! Try spotting them from the beach!
PAY IT FORWARD LIKE BEZZI
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about Morro Bay State Park below & get major kudos if you used this itinerary!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.