LAURA'S FAMILY CAMPING TRIP AT ANTHONY CHABOT REGIONAL PARK
TRIP · 3-day family campout
DATES · October 8 - 10, 2021
VIBE · Easy & relaxing
DRIVE · About an hour from SF
PARK · Anthony Chabot Regional Park
RESERVATION · #2-31672845 CA
CAMPSITE · #35
LOOP · Sites #34 - 50
WHY ANTHONY CHABOT REGIONAL PARK?
Anthony Chabot Regional Park has been called "one of the best kept secrets in the Bay Area." This peaceful 3,304 acre park is filled with grasslands and shady eucalyptus groves sprinkled along 70 miles of hiking and riding trails. It's a perfect camping destination for young families who want a weekend getaway without being too far from civilization. Lake Chabot is located at the heart of the park and Anthony Chabot Campground is only a 30-minute drive from San Francisco.
SLEEP UNDERNEATH THE STARS AT ANTHONY CHABOT CAMPGROUND
This family-friendly campground is peacefully perched above Lake Chabot. It's conveniently filled with amenities, like restrooms, hot showers & drinking water, while being removed from the hustle & bustle of city life. In total, there are 12 RV campsites, 10 hike-in tent campsites & 53 drive-in campsites, but there's plenty of space to go around. Firewood can be bought at the entry kiosk & families can hike down to the lake from camp.
Check-in: After 2 PM | Check-out: Before Noon
Gates close nightly at 10 PM, but campers can come & go freely
Quite hours: 10 PM - 7 AM
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- Fire ring w/ a grill
- Space for up to 8 people
- Two parking spots
- Drinking water (on site)
- Restrooms & hot showers (on site)
LEAVE HOME BY 4 PM & SWING BY REI BERKELEY
- Call REI Berkeley in advance to reserve your rental gear; they have more rental inventory than the SF REI
- Located at 1338 San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley
- Open everyday from 10 AM to 9 PM
- Load up the car with the rest of your camping gear!
CHECK-IN & SET UP CAMP AT ANTHONY CHABOT CAMPGROUND
- Buy a bundle of firewood from the entry kiosk
- Set up your tent before it gets dark & familiarize everyone with the restroom, sink, and trash cans
- Invite your kiddos to help you set up camp & start a campfire!
COOK UP DINNER & ENJOY THE SUNSET AT 6:28PM
CAMPFIRE, S'MORES & STARGAZING
- Woohoo! You're doing it! Enjoy the first night of your first family campout.
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
Call REI Berkeley to reserve your camping gear rentals in advance. Their number is (510) 527-4140.
There is no or limited cell phone reception throughout the park so plan ahead!
The weather forecast is partly cloudy with a high of 65 degrees and a low of 55 degrees. Be sure to bring plenty of layers to stay warm throughout the weekend.
Swimming isn't allowed at Lake Chabot, but you can rent a boat of your choice at the Lake Chabot Marina & Cafe.
MAKE BREKKIE, PACK A PICNIC LUNCH & HIKE DOWN TO LAKE CHABOT
- Take the Honker Bay Trail from camp down to the lake (take Huck's Trail to return to camp)
- It's about a 2 mile round trip loop with 460 feet of elevation gain
- Pack plenty of water, snacks, sunscreen, snacks, a sun hat, a picnic blanket & lunch!
EXPLORE THE LAKE & ENJOY LUNCH
IF YOU'RE FEELING AMBITIOUS...CONTINUE HIKING TO LAKE MARINA & CAFE
- It's about another 2 mile hike to reach the Marina & Cafe, which adds a total 4.5 miles to your day hike. It's a relatively flat & easy walk, but make sure everyone's up for the adventure!
- Once you're at the Marina, you can rent a kayak or a boat for a family paddle around the lake.
TREK BACK TO CAMP & CLEAN UP
- Nosh on your family's favorite snacks & tidy up after all of today's hikes.
PREP DINNER, DESSERT & CAMPFIRE STORIES FOR THE EVENING
- Enjoy your last night at Anthony Chabot Regional Park!
PACK UP, CLEAN UP & CHECK OUT BY NOON
- Cook up brekkie & pick up any pieces of litter around camp
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.