CAMPING TRIP IN MCARTHUR-BURNEY FALLS MEMORIAL STATE PARK
WHY MCARTHUR-BURNEY FALLS MEMORIAL STATE PARK?
The star of McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park (BFSP) is its 129-foot high namesake: Burney Falls. People flock from all over to witness this natural wonder, which never fails to disappoint, but the park does get packed over summer weekends. Avoid the crowds by reserving a mid-week campsite & visiting the falls around 7 AM. As they say, early birds get Burney Falls for themselves!
TRIP · 3-day car camping trip
FOR · Families & first-time campers
VIBE · Chill & fun
COST · $
DRIVE · 5 hours from SF
IDEAL DATES · May - September
PETS · Welcome at camp, but not on trails
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire pit & grill
- Space for up to 8 people
- 1 to 3 parking spots
- Food storage locker
- Trash collection (on site)
- Restrooms (on site)
CAMP BETWEEN BURNEY FALLS & LAKE BRITTON AT RIM CAMPGROUND
Rim Campground is family-friendly campground located between Burney Falls & Lake Britton, an under-rated highlight within the park. Unlike Pioneer campground, Rim is located closer to the falls. The campground has heated cabins, RV, & tent campsites as well as a general store, restrooms & token-operated showers. Campsites can be reserved up to six months advance for peak summer months, and are first-come, first-serve between Labor Day and mid-May. If you have a flexible sked, keep an eye out for last-minute campsite cancellations over the summer!
Check-in: After 2 PM | Check-out: 12 PM
Quiet hours: 10 PM - 6 AM
View Campground Map
Nightly Rate: $35
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
You can't swim in the falls, but Lake Britton is an awesome nearby alternative
Mosquitoes like to hang out during the summer. Bring your bug spray!
Day-use passes are $10 per car, but parking lots can be full during the summer
The best views of Burney Falls can be found from the main trail, a 1.3 mile loop
LEAVE SF BY 9 AM & GRAB LUNCH AT GUADALAJARA MEXICAN RESTAURANT
- Diners love their Mexican food, pleasant service & fun ambiance
- Located at 435 E. Cypress Ave in Redding, CA
- Open everyday| 11 AM - 8 PM or until 9 PM
LAST PIT STOP · Chevron - 37300 Main Street in Burney
CHECK IN & SETTLE IN AT RIM CAMPGROUND
- Set up camp, wander around the campground & relax
HIKE BURNEY FALLS LOOP TRAIL
- Walk a mile-long loop and enjoy Burney Falls at golden hour
RETURN TO CAMP FOR DINNER & S'MORES
- Prep dinner, s'mores & enjoy an evening of drinking & stargazing
MAKE BREKKIE, PACK A PICNIC & SPEND THE DAY SWIMMING IN LAKE BRITTON
- Pack a daypack with lunch, snacks, sunscreen, sunhat, bug spray & plenty of water
- Hike 2 miles round-trip along Rim trail, which eventually merges with Burney Creek Trail, to spend the day swimming & lounging by Lake Britton
- Enjoy the sun, water & an afternoon picnic!
RENT A CANOE, PADDLE BOAT, OR KAYAK
- Marina hours are Mon, Tue, Fri-Sun from 9 AM - 5 PM
- Canoes are $25 per hour (up to 3 people)
- Paddle boats are $25 per hour (up to 4 people)
- Kayaks are $25 per hour (2 - 3 people)
RETURN TO CAMP & UNWIND
- Clean up, prep a delicious meal & warm up with your favorite hot bevvie
- Roast up s'mores & soak up your last night in Burney Falls State Park!
PACK UP & CHECK OUT BEFORE NOON
👀 Cook up brekkie, clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
Burney Falls is one of the few known nesting sites for the Black Swift. You can often spot them soaring around the waterfalls.
PAY IT FORWARD LIKE BEZZI
Your outdoor experiences helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your knowledge about McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park below & get major kudos if you used this itinerary!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and discover your next outdoor adventure.