FAMILY CAMPING TRIP TO SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK
TRIP · 3-day car camping trip
FOR · Families & first-time campers
VIBE · Chill & easy
COST · $$ - $$$
DRIVE · 5 hours from LA
IDEAL DATES · June - September
PETS · Allowed at camp, not on trails
WHY SEQUOIA & KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARK?
Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park (SEKI) is considered the "Land of the Giants." It's home to towering groves of Sequoia trees, granite peaks & epic glacial canyons. The park elevation ranges from 1,300 to 14,400+ feet, which includes a significant portion of the Sierra Nevada, aka the longest mountain range in the country!
STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW
Map of Sequoia National Park
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire ring & bbq grate
- Space for up to six people
- Two parking spots
- Food storage locker
- Trash collection (on site)
BOOK A RIVERSIDE CAMPSITE AT LODGEPOLE CAMPGROUND
Campers rave about Lodgepole Campground because of its premiere location within the park. Tucked next to the Kaweah River, at an elevation of 6,700 ft, Lodgepole boasts a visitor center, market (that sells ice & firewood), showers, and laundry facilities. The trailheads for Twin Lakes trail & Tokopah Falls trail can also be accessed from the campground. You can reserve a tent or RV campsite up to one month in advance so be sure to snag your spot ASAP!
Check-in: After 12 PM | Check-out: 12 PM
Quiet hours: 10 PM to 6AM
View Lodgepole Campground Map
Nightly Fee: $22
LEAVE LA BY 9 AM & PICK UP LUNCH AT
- Diners love their sandwiches, bacon fig burger & tacos
- Located at 1727 18th St. in Bakersfield | Open Mon. - Fri.| 10 AM - 3 PM
LAST PIT STOP · Chevron Three Rivers - 41907 Sierra Dr, Three Rivers
ENTER SEKI & STRETCH YOUR LEGS ALONG BIG TREES TRAIL
- It's an easy, paved 1.3 mile loop around a beautiful meadow. Thanks to educational displays, you can also learn about the Giant Sequoia's ecosystem.
TAKE A QUICK DETOUR & HIKE THE GENERAL SHERMAN TREE TRAIL
- From General Highway, veer right on Wolverton Road & follow signs to General Sherman Tree Car Park.
- This area might be pretty crowded because this easy easy 1.2 mile loop takes you General Sherman, the largest tree in the WORLD!
DRIVE TO LODGEPOLE CAMPGROUND & SET UP CAMP
- Prep dinner, s'mores & enjoy an evening of storytelling & stargazing
SLEEP-IN, MAKE BRUNCH & PREP FOR A DAY HIKE
TO TOKOPAH FALLS
- Pack a daypack with snacks, sunscreen, jacket, water & sandals
- Remember to tuck away your food in your car or food storage bin
- It's a moderate 4-mile round-trip hike that offers plenty of shade & easy enough for kids!
RETURN TO CAMP FOR AN AFTERNOON PICNIC
- Prep a picnic lunch and find a picnic table near the Kaweah River at camp
- Hang around camp, or if you're feeling ambitious...
HIKE TO WILLOW MEADOW FROM LODGEPOLE CAMPGROUND
- An easy 3.4 mile round-trip hike to a beautiful meadow that's great for kids
COOK UP DINNER
- Prep a delicious meal and warm up with your favorite hot bevvie.
- Roast up s'mores & soak up your last night in SEKI!
COOK UP BREKKIE, PACK UP
& CHECK OUT BEFORE NOON
👀 Clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
Buy a 7-day vehicle pass online for $35 before your trip
Black bears call SEKI home. Store any food, scented items & trash in your metal food storage box when you're away from camp & overnight.
Be aware of altitude symptoms like nausea, dizziness, headaches & fatigue. Stay hydrated & take your time on the trails.
Face masks & social distancing are required. Recreate responsibly!
KEEP THE GOOD TIMES GOIN'
Your experiences at Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park helps people have a safe & memorable time in nature. Share your memories below & tag us @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
READY TO GO CAMPING?
Every week, we feature unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Join our community and let us inspire your next outdoor adventure.