A DREAMY, DELUXE CAMPING TRIP IN BIG SUR
WHY BIG SUR?
Big Sur is a 90-mile stretch of land that hugs California's Central Coast. Its breathtaking beauty and foggy wonders has drawn famous writers like Henry Miller & Jack Kerouac for good reason.
Dotted with a number of state parks, beaches, and hiking trails, Big Sur is an idyllic camping destination. Watch dramatic sunsets, meditate to rhythmic waves, and taste the ocean air. Reconnect with yourself and loved ones in this glittering gem next to the Pacific Ocean.
TRIP · 3-day camping trip
FOR · Romantic partners
VIBE · Fun & challenging
COST · $$ - $$$
DRIVE · 3 hours from SF
IDEAL DATES · April - October
PETS · Allowed at camp, but not
on most trails
EACH CAMPSITE COMES WITH:
- A picnic table
- A fire ring & bbq grate
- 25 x 15 feet of space
- One parking spot
- Shared toilets (on site)
- Trash collection (on site)
BOOK A SERENE, WOODSY SPOT AT VENTANA CAMPGROUND
Tucked into a 40-acre redwood canyon, Ventana Campground is for campers who want a touch of lux. Sleep beneath the stars while having access to bath houses, showers ($2 for every 5 minutes), and a general store on site that sells firewood & ice. This private, tent-only campground has glamping tents and campsites, but both can sell out fast, especially during the summer. Two pets are allowed at each campsite, but doggos aren't allowed on most trails in Big Sur.
Check-in: 4 PM | Check-out: 11 AM
View Ventana Campground Map
Nightly Fee: $80
NEED TO KNOW
📡 Cell reception is non existent in Big Sur. Download maps & our PDF before your trip!
🚘 Due to a landslide, Highway 1 is closed south of Rat Creek. Construction crews plan to reopen the road later this year.
🐻 There aren't bears in Big Sur, but store your food overnight & when you're away from camp. Critters still love to scavenge.
😷 Face masks & social distancing are
required. Recreate responsibly!
and Rumsien people were the first inhabitants in Big Sur about 8,000 years ago. Learn more.
LEAVE SF BY 10 AM & PICK UP LUNCH AT
- Locals love their croissants, donuts, anything baked, honestly.
- Located at 47540 CA-1in Big Sur. Open Wed. to Sun.| 9 AM - 5 PM
LAST PIT STOP · Shell - Cabrillo Hwy, Big Sur
VISIT PFEIFFER BEACH FOR AN AFTERNOON PICNIC AND VIEWS OF KEYHOLE ARCH
- Turn left back onto HWY 1 from the bakery & turn left when you hit Sycamore Canyon Road (about 0.5 miles away)
- Drive down Sycamore Canyon Road for a little over 2 miles before reaching the beach
- Bring cash to cover a $10 day use fee
DRIVE TO VENTANA CAMPGROUND TO
CHECK-IN AFTER 4PM
- Located at 48123 CA-1, Big Sur
SET UP CAMP** & SETTLE IN
- Prep dinner, dessert & enjoy an evening of relaxing & stargazing.
**SET THE MOOD: Hang fairy string lights around your tent to add a romantic flair to your campsite.
SLEEP-IN, MAKE BRUNCH & PREP FOR A DAY HIKE
AT ANDREW MOLERA STATE PARK
- Pack a daypack with food, sunscreen, jacket, water & sandals
- Remember to tuck away your food in your car or food storage bin
- Drive 20-minutes north of camp to Andrew Molera State Park
HIKE BLUFFS, PANORAMA & CREAMERY MEADOW LOOP TRAIL
- It's a moderate 8-mile round-trip hike, with 1,270 ft. of total elevation, beginning with a Big Sur river crossing. There's a seasonal footbridge in place between June 15 to October 31 so if you go during that window your feet will stay dry :)
- The first half is a steady climb, but enjoy 180-degree views of the coast
- At the Panorama x Spring trail junction, head to Molera Beach for an afternoon picnic
RETURN TO CAMP & PREP DINNER
- Prep a delicious meal and warm up with your favorite hot bevvie.
- Roast up s'mores & soak up your last night in Big Sur!
COOK UP BREKKIE, PACK UP
& CHECK OUT BEFORE 11 AM
👀 Clean up around camp & throw away any random pieces of litter
SHARE THE LOVE OF CAMPING
Your outdoor experiences helps everyone have a safe & memorable time in nature. Tell us how your trip to Big Sur went & tag us @bewilder_camp if you used this itinerary!
LAST UPDATED: April 14, 2021
EXPLORE MORE TRIPS
READY TO GO CAMPING?
Every week, we design unique camping trip itineraries (like this) for your friends, families & furry ones. Let us plan your next outdoor adventure.